View Single Post
      01-23-2020, 09:55 PM   #5
golf4dj
Rep
Drives: 2011 E93 and 2015 F15

Well - last weekend I did the install. As stated in my post above, I picked up a used set of both the Stage1 BAVSOUND speakers and a set of BAVSOUND subwoofers off of ebay for $625 shipped. I have the S677A Harmon Kardon (no name plate) HiFi System (7 speakers/tweeters) in my 2013 640i coupe.

The person that I purchased from had the BAVSOUND system installed in his F30 3 series 4 door with the HK 7 speaker system. After doing some research I determined that all the 4 inch woofers would be a direct fit. 5 of the 7 tweeters would be a direct fit but I would have to make an oval mounting flange for two of the tweeters. This is due to the fact that in the coupe and convertible the rear side panel tweeters have an oval mount as opposed to the doors where the tweeters simply pop into a round snap in mount within the door.

Fortunately, my research was correct. All 4 inch woofers were a direct match/fit as were the tweeters except for the 2 mounting flanges that I had to make. The speaker connections were the same as well so it was plug and play.

Making the mounting flange was pretty simple. I simply purchased a 12 inch x 12 inch sheet of ABS that was 1/4 inch thick. From that I traced the original BMW mounting flange onto the ABS plastic making rough cuts with a saw. Then I used a dremel with a sanding wheel to properly shape the flange so that it was identical to the original BMW mounting flange otherwise it would not fit. The center hole for the tweeter was cut using a round hole saw with my drill that was slightly smaller than the tweeter (didn't have a hole saw that was the exact size) and then used the dremel with the sanding wheel to make the final opening with a snug fit. Place a little adhesive between the flange and tweeter and it was good to go. Took only about a half hour to make once I figured out how I was actually going to do it.

All in all the install took about 6 hours for me, twice as long as the BAVSOUND videos suggested. It was not hard by any stretch but some of the panels required a bit of force to remove and I kept checking myself as I did not want to break anything.

As far as sound goes - I am really shocked at how much more definition the BAVSOUND speakers provide. The detail and clarity is much improved. The punch from the woofers is improved as well. They would not match a separate subwoofer in the truck like some have done but it is clearly an improvement. Well worth my investment.
Appreciate 1