View Single Post
      02-24-2020, 11:51 PM   #2
Flying Ace
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: G05 45e, 997.1 & 991.1 GT3s

Just to clarify, the extended warranty only adds another year to the original 4-year 50k warranty. So one additional year costs $4k.

I can tell you this much based on my experience owning a CPO M6 (2014 MY, 2018 CPO warranty expiry), and my previous experience owning a 2008 M3 up to 2017, and my current ownership of a 2012 X5d....

These M cars on average costs about $1000 per visit to the dealer for any minor repair. The most typical issue for the M6 will be oil or coolant line leaks. A catastrophic engine failure is on the rare side. If it does happen, or if one of those $5k issue arise, my understanding is that if it happens within year 1 after expiration of original warranty, BMW tends to "goodwill" the fix. Depending on when and what breaks, you can reasonably expect a 80-20 split of costs, you paying about 20% of it.

This is not a guarantee, and as you age further from original warranty expiry, that ratio drops.

All in all, my opinion is that you're better off just saving the money yourself, and maintaining the car properly. A potential way of ensuring no major engine failure is to follow proper warm up procedures, use BMW dealer oil and to get oil samples every oil change.

That's what I do to stay on top of what's going on internally in that motor.

Now all that other stuff... coolant leaks, hose leaks, ignition issues, etc that does seem to pop up will just have to be one of those $2-$5k fixes that come up from time to time. You pay to play with these cars, it just comes with the territory. But when this happens, you're still even or ahead by not buying that warranty.

FYI, most M6 owners are not reporting issues on this thread, but head over to the F10post side of this forum and you can see lots of S63 issues pop up for M5 owners and some more for E70 and F15 X5M owners. The key thing is to learn from what happened from those owners and figure out how to detect these issues beforehand.

I've never bought extended warranty for any of my BMWs. I religiously maintain them with oil health being top priority. You can say I "theoretically" paid for extended warranty by buying both my X5 and M6 CPO, as CPO cars do carry a slight premium, but CPOs do not sell for $4k more, I view this 1 year extended warranty worth no more than $2k due to that probability weighted goodwill cost.

All that said, during year 5 of my M6, my car did have a coolant leak fixed under the 5th year CPO warranty. I don't have my paperwork with me, but my guess is it would have cost me around $2k.

Last edited by Flying Ace; 02-27-2020 at 04:37 PM..
Appreciate 2
HeyKC101.50
EnVe461037.50