View Single Post
      02-12-2020, 01:03 PM   #8
phan
Private
Rep
Drives: X5 35d, M5 SC'd, M6GC

Quote:
Originally Posted by RagtagXMASTER View Post
I have not seen any reps in the boston area have cracking clear, must be all the perfect weather in LA! to remedy the cracking you can sand the material down prior to installation and seal the whole lip in a very good high quality clear at a body shop, and then XPEL wrap the lip. i did that to mine and its very resilient even to rock chips, not resilient however to hitting the road

Post a pic of the cracking too, it will help to understand if it could be UV related, or impact related from rock chips.

The real CF from Vorsteiner or other companies use an epoxy that is very thick, it is like a gel coat on a boat. it has a tendency to yellow, cloud, and crack if it is improperly mixed/ poor quality product.

Eventuri had this problem on a set of intakes they offered. they offered at one time blue CF intake tubes with blue cf housings. however i did a full restoration on these and found that it is regular black CF and blue tinted epoxy over the standard epoxy. this tinted epoxy is not heat resistant and yellows in the engine bay.

I will post pics of that process soon, one i complete the tube restoration, the filter housing are completed.
i'll definitely take and post pics when i get a chance. one thing i've also noticed is that the top "CF" part of the lip seems to easily separate from the FRP body. one of the lips i've gone through has had this on the underside too, with minimal scraping. i'd seriously just like to get something that's built a little better and won't come apart if you look at it wrong, it's rather annoying.
Appreciate 0