03-08-2019, 10:45 AM   #49
Cincinnatus
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 M6

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebmw View Post
To put the depreciation in perspective, a 2013 M6 Coupe (same depreciation as GC BTW) with 60K miles is 23K wholesale (so even less on a trade). 2015's with the same mileage are upper 30's. Food for thought for anyone who is selling.
Overpriced? Perhaps not.

You can't reasonably compare wholesale price to retail. Most buyers don't have access to trade sources (Manheim). The 2013 M6 has a market price of mid- to upper-30's because that's what the market will bear, understandably with adjustments to that price for mileage, condition and options. If you factor that adjustment at roughly $300 per 1000 miles ($.30c per mile) the difference can be significantly more or less - 10k miles on the clock an swing the price $3000 either way.

The 2014 models are now where the 2013's were about this time last year, but the 13's have firmed up on price. I think you'll find depreciation will be decelerating as the price of the 8'er - especially the M8 becomes known and the M6 becomes an attractive, and by comparison affordable, alternative. Or so I hope. :-)

I also disagree with your observation that options don't matter. They most certainly do, especially for the kind of buyer looking for a car like this. Yes, the impact on price with regard to options isn't as significant as condition or price. But for someone who wants, say, the B&O system in the car, it's a deal-breaker for some sellers, an opportunity to command a higher selling price for others so equipped.

The difference in perception between whether or not an item is 'overpriced' or not is if you're the seller, or the buyer. But if I have what you want, and there's a dwindling supply of them, better to acquiesce and get it sooner, rather than later. Remember, there were only 2093 M6 Coupes shipped to North America for the entire production run.

Time will tell.

Last edited by Cincinnatus; 03-08-2019 at 05:05 PM..
Appreciate 1
mikerx5461.00