10-07-2020, 12:27 PM   #93
David70
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 Z4M Coupe - 13 Cadillac ATS

Quote:
Originally Posted by SenorFunkyPants View Post
Did you watch the 2007 season...Hamilton's rookie year?
The best rookie year for any F1 driver ever and by a mile.
He started the season having had a few hours pre season practice at Barcelona-Catalunya but zero F1 race time at any of the other tracks.
He hadn't even raced at several of the F1 tracks in previous series.

So with almost no time in an F1 car or set up experience he was up against 2 time world champ Alonso - regarded by his peers as one of the best drivers of his era.
The rest is history..bar a gearbox glitch he would have won the DWC in his rookie year.

I don't really like Hamilton but he has a natural talent that far surpasses Verstappen.
If Verstappen crashed less then sure you could put it all down to the car.
Verstappen is fast but lacks Hamiltons natural feel for driving at the limit.

I agree, Hamilton's rookie season was one of the best ever. Not seeing how you will ever prove Hamilton's the best ever or his level of natural talent or ability to drive at the limit being above everyone else's, it just an opinion. We'll also never know how much of what he accomplished was his ability or the luck in switching from Mclaren to MB at the exact right time. If he hadn't made the switch his career could have looked much different

I also never said Max was better than Hamilton overall, just brought up the question that if in equal cars today I don't know who would win.

I think Max is now 23 and Hamilton started F1 when he was 22. If Max had waited another 5 years to join F1 (22 instead of 17), and gotten more experience some amount of the mistakes wouldn't have happened and he obviously would have acted more mature in his first few years.

Last edited by David70; 10-07-2020 at 12:50 PM..
Appreciate 2
M5Rick59587.50