01-14-2012, 05:24 AM   #206
Bunkei
Anti-Fanboy
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tobbep View Post
I think you are misunderstanding what some of us are saying. This has nothing to do with showing off. I could care less what other people think. This has to do with keeping the heritage of the M models intact. It has to do with what the M stands for. These cars should not be diluted for the sake of selling more cars. I'm not sure why this is so hard to understand.

The M cars are supposed to be in their own class. If it is not an M car don't put an M badge on it. If people want an M car buy one.
Think about what you're saying. You're saying that BMW cannot use the reputation of its own 'M' products to sell more cars even though they're in the business of selling cars. It is as if the M is off limits, even to BMW! That doesn't make much business sense.

There's nothing to indicate that the 'M' will be diluted as we haven't even seen the next generation 'M' cars. I bet that the next-generation M cars will be lighter, meaner, more extreme. In fact, I've seen a lot of complaints on recent 'M' cars that they're way too heavy, technology-laden, and robotic; lacking the driver/car connection of previous M's (see M5). By creating the M-Performance line, BMW now has room to truly make the 'M' cars more like its revered predecessors.
Appreciate 0