View Single Post
      03-07-2014, 11:07 AM   #115
stressdoc
Dominica
Rep
Drives: BMW i8; Toy 4runner TRD pro

I am still holding out hope for the Z2 M with extensive carbon fibre weight 1k K.

Coupe and convertible variants visually similar to i-8 but designed for mass production -- ideally priced around $50 - 60k; engine options include hybrid w/ 3 cyl, & 4 cyl turbo; monster N55B30T0 probably too much to fit in.

This would represent the new wave of enthusiast vehicles for BMW, but adhering to M tradition of extraordinary performance. Direct challenge to Porsche Boxster & Cayman, Alfa 4C, but with broader appeal given BMW engine options.

Not sure why BMW needs to collaborate with Toyota on this, but if it lowers costs, all is good.

Likewise I hope for more 4 cyl ultra-high efficiency diesels, and diesel-hybrids, e.g., in the 220, with fuel mileage over the rubicon of 50mpg. Unfortunate that the 328d only rates 45mpg -- in reality >50mpg easily obtainable on highway. VW is exploiting that marketing niche better than BMW. Not sure if diesels can do much in USA with price of diesel 25¢ more than premium + demand so high in Euro and other markets.

Still wondering if BMW missed out on an opportunity to be a big player in the high volume market when they did not take my suggestion to buy Ford when share price was around $5...
Appreciate 0