03-08-2021, 03:01 PM   #55
David70
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 Z4M Coupe - 13 Cadillac ATS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfisti View Post
Some untruths being spoken here, the reasonable among us skeptics are not anti EV for the sake of it. There are two issues at play here,

1) Such short term targets sets by governments and manufacturers, i don't see how on EARTH you could ban ICE sales in less than 9 years, i just cannot see it.

2) Charging, people focus on range but the issue is charging. Until this is resolved there will be a need for an alternative which is NOT what is being communicated, the communication is EV or bust by 2030ish.

I will also add that an EV is more hassle for me than an ICE. I have two cars, one garage so one lives outside, my charger would be near the front of the house or in the garage and because of the charging issue I would need to top up EVERY DAMN NIGHT. So in the morning, minus 30, i am out there unrolling an icy cord and every night i have to trudge in and plug it in again. It's just a headache vs filling up once every two weeks.

it all comes back to charging, if we can charge in 5 minutes, game changer, until then, prodominately 2nd cars ina family for pure EV.
You would have to top up the EV every night compared to filling up the ICE every two weeks? Not following how this range works out. Plenty of people talk about the cases it won't work for them but the average driver drives about 231 miles per week (231x52=12,000) - nowhere close to charging every night.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuck335 View Post
I think it’s more like governments see the market forces at play.
Within the next 5 years it’ll be cheaper to own and operate a BEV, so it’s easy pickings for these types of policies.

There’s going be the “pry my ICE from my cold dead hands” types but the majority of people will just be driven by economic arguments and will buy a BEV.
Agree, get the cost of ownership for the EV to be lower than the ICE (initial purchase, maintenance, repair, depreciation) and customers will follow. Huge part of the population looks at their car as only a way to get them from point A to point B. Keep the features, significantly lower the cost and people will buy it.

Complaints here about the bans coming from a couple of states/countries for new ICE sales but the manufacturers are promising to drop off far faster than the bans. None of this happens overnight and yes things will need to change over time.