Canada
Rep
Drives: '08 128i Coupe SGM 6MT

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by heavyD^2 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Germanauto View Post
As I said, those cars are becoming absurdly expensive. And the Boxster will become a 3600+ lb EV soon.

Porsche will make a 3 row mom car but won't produce a small sport sedan. I could care less about how much more money the execs in Stuttgart will earn from this decision, as a car enthusiast this news is depressing. I don't know why people online rush to defend the profiteering decisions of MBAs halfway across the world. What do you have to gain from it?
All vehicles have become expensive as it's the sign of the times. I'm not defending manufacturers. They all started selling out two decades ago. Toyota was the first and one by one other automakers started following suit. We are now past the point of return as even Ferrari will soon cave in and offer an SUV. There's literally nothing you or I can do about this so you can dwell on it (as I said before is unhealthy) or move on. I choose to move on and appreciate the good vehicles that are still available today and there's still a lot of them.
I don't have issue with "driver's car" manufacturers offering SUVs. In Porsche's case the SUV saved the company and their entire sports car lineup. They went on to give us three generations of GT3 which couldn't be anything further from an SUV. Profits enable you to scale and have more resources to spread across more products. So who says an SUV is bad for enthusiasts? Heck don't they and Lamborghini sell the fastest most driver connected SUV's period?

The real trends that worry me as a car enthusiast appear to lie closer to somewhere between changing consumer tastes, tight competition and emissions regulation. Porsche is a bad example because they still make drivers focused cars including the GT4, Spyder, Speedster and GT3. Even 4.0L GTS, albeit all too expensive for mortals to access. BMW on the other hand doesn't offer a single NA option nor a manual outside their M lineup. Audi? The 2021 A5 I drove felt more like a Tesla than any other ICE car I've ever driven. They offer precise and fast cars but they don't demand as much from the driver and simultaneously return less connection between human and machine in experience. But that must be what most customers want, right? Not a single non-enthusiast I know complains about these things.
Appreciate 1
Germanauto9665.50