View Single Post
      02-12-2021, 05:55 PM   #8
MMMM6GC
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M6 GC

M6s have now reached the near-bottom of their depreciation curve. Some points to note:

- The top M models (M5, M6 - now the M8) are always stickered really really high. They're typically leased new. Those that do buy new usually get significant discount over sticker right out the gate.

- This high initial price adds to the huge initial depreciation, though I don't think it is too dissimilar to the initial depreciation suffered by the top trim AMGs or RS models for comparison. If you consider something like an Audi RS7 - a low volume "coupe"-shaped, top trim sedan with c.550bhp+, these stickered new for c.$130k - very similar to the M6 Gran Coupe. The oldest model years for both cars are approaching 7-8 years old. RS7s now retail for $40k+ for 2014 models with average mileage (8-10k p/y). You'll see M6 Gran coupes with similar years/mileage also in this price bracket - so I think the extreme depreciation is common across the board for performance luxury german sedans/coupes.

- As for further depreciation, I've kept a cursory glance on the market over the past couple years and finding M6 GCs under $40k is rare unless they have significantly above average mileage or some kind of branded title (I haven't paid as close attention to the M6 Coupe pricing but it is not too dissimilar). Consider the V10 M6 (E63/64) - the first modern generation of "M6" since the 80's. These have fully depreciated, and now retail in the $20-30k range on average. The F series M6s (starting in 2012 for the Coupe) are now in the $30k+ range for the oldest/highest mileage examples. There really isn't much further for them to fall (on average). High mileage, now, is the biggest factor for these cars.

- Additionally, used car prices have firmed during the pandemic. I've kept an eye on the market to see how much my F06 has depreciated over the past 18 months since I purchased it, and I'm pleasantly surprised that they're retailing for within 2-3% of what I paid. It's an awesome bonus as it drastically reduces the cost of ownership; what I would have lost on depreciation I spent on an extended (aftermarket) warranty and regular maintenance. My annual ownership costs are averaging c.$2k (warranty + service) with virtually 0 depreciation. Not everyone will have the same experience - you may get a more troublesome car or be doing heavy mileage, but buying at the bottom of the depreciation curve has allowed me to enjoy this land-missile for a fraction of the running costs vs buying new and suffering $10-20k depreciation p/y.

- Great info provided there by @LJohnson32. The "Competition Edition" limited run cars are gorgeous coming with every M accessory and some unique badging. It's up to debate (and the market) whether these will depreciate/hold value/appreciate more than "regular" M6s (I personally think they will do better) - only time will tell if the market values the 1 of 100 badge. Having said that you could look for a loaded M6 with the Competition package and make the personal choice of adding those M performance accessories yourself (besides the unique branding), while also have the choice of the Gran Coupe available too.

Edit - the F-series M6's did not come with AWD/X-Drive as an option
Appreciate 1