View Single Post
      03-09-2013, 12:49 PM   #2
southern6er22
Southern6er22
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 650i xDrive M Sport Coupe

Garage List
I own a '12 and am definitely not going to swap out this soon. I'll simply never drive the '13 and stay ignorant and blissful. I drove the new M6 - which has a monster of an engine - and I didn't walk away from it longing to have that car. Is it an awesome car? Yes. Did I feel like the on-the-street acceleration, speed, etc. was worth an additional $20k? No. Is the overall M6 worth the extra money? Probably so.

My point? Even the 560 hp, 500 lb-ft ///M engine didn't seem like it was THAT much better than my 407 hp, 450 lb-ft 650xi. I haven't driven the '13 version. I'm sure it is objectively better. However, if you're looking to save some money but want a loaded 6er/7er, then you'd probably be better off spending the money on a car with the extra toys but has to make due with a measly 400 hp.

This is completely personal and subjective, but I think the overall package means a lot more than the drivetrain alone. Going back to the M6 and my M School experience, my M6 had the B&O system, soft close doors, and the new iDrive (okay, technically that was on the M5s, not the M6, but go along with it for a second), but it didn't have the extended Merino package. The interior, to me, just seemed cheap compared to my Nappa/Alcantara-covered 650i, and I really didn't desire that specific car more than my own (i.e. the extended leather made more of a difference to me than the extra 150 hp and 1/2 second faster to 60 mph). My ideal car would be the M6 with all of those toys, full leather, and the monstrous M engine, but that car is approaching $130,000. For my $105,000, I'd rather the toys and the leather that I'll fully experience every second that I'm in my car, and I'd leave the M6's performance extras that are less accessible on a daily basis.

I know this response got a bit babbly, but I hope it makes sense.
Appreciate 0