JCZ5
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 (G05)

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeDarko View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSBM5 View Post
You need to drive an E90 M3 back-to-back with an M2 Competition. I do it all the time. My M3 has some suspension mods and wider wheels than stock, the M2C is stock as delivered. The steering feedback approaching/at/over the limits on the M2C is much improved from any other EPS system I've driven from BMW, as we were literally ready to flip the car right away if it didn't meet our desires (our meaning my wife and I, it's her primary car). I spent the day on the Michelin 1/2 mile skidpad with the car on the 3rd day we owned it (had already racked up over 1000 miles) to really shake it down. The driving dynamics of the M2C are outstanding.

She wasn't going to sell her E90 330i (ZSP, 6MT) we owned since new unless the M2C met our expectations since clearly the F30 didn't.

I've been driving BMWs since 1974, and autocrossing 1975, track 1981, etc. 40 year CCA member, etc. I was instantly at home in the M2C on the skidpad, track and autocross courses. It's like a friendly helper just waiting to do whatever you ask and do it well.

One of the best parts of the M2C is the programming that went into the M-active LSD imo. Unlike the ridiculous Visco-Lok unit in the E46/E9x M3, this thing is super integrated into the car's dynamic situation. It's likely 100% open on slow-to-medium speed corner entry, so turn in is unreal instant with no push, and as you transition from heavy trailbraking to rolling on throttle at the apex, it's all ready for you as you track out under as much throttle as the rear tires can handle. It was just as much fun on the skidpad too drifting at 70mph. I really wish we could see some traces of locking percentage overlaid with a track map. I want to learn a lot more about the s/w behind controlling LSD locking percentage versus each input (and derivatives of those inputs).

I concur as well. I loved my Fire Orange e92 M3 and the high revving engine. But I'm having so much more fun with my M2c and I do believe it's partly to do with the smaller footprint.

The LSD in the M2c is even more of a revelation in winter use with the MDM activated. I expected this after dailying my F80 for few years but again the smaller car and linear power curve in the F87 (compared to F80) makes it much more manageable and controllable allowing you to push the limits much further than usual despite the weather conditions.

I've considered getting a base 992 with limited options but I don't think I'll be satisfied without a similar eLSD as in the F8x as you need to jump to the 992 S to experience the LSD + PTV.
In earlier threads I talked about looking at preowned Carrera Ts and the only competitor to it would be preowned Carrera S, due to inclusion of PTV (in the Porsche realm). In my mind, a modern sports car need to have a LSD and it is what makes a modern day performance car. Therefore, I have a real problem getting a base Carrera, no matter how loaded it is. Unless your use case is just a daily driver.