View Single Post
      06-02-2020, 07:16 PM   #35
Smgs1992
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2007 bmw 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by NytWolf View Post
Being built in America or being designed in America doesn't make it American. With that logic, the Mexican-built Ram trucks are Mexican? LOL. Not poking fun, just making an observation. Lately, very few Japanese car designs speak to me (if ever, now that I think about it). I don't know what it is, but it's almost like they're designed by a novice designer who tries too hard.

I had a '16 Sierra 1500 Z71 4x4. Got 27mpg on a 5-hour drive doing 85-90mph. Traded mine in for my '16 535i M Sport since I wasn't using it as a truck but paying commercial registration rates in this great state of Kommiefornia.

Anyway, it's a great truck except for a few things.
1) On newer GM vehicles, recirc mode doesn't really mean recirc. You will always still get outside smell. They think, for whatever reason they try to tell you, that they leave 8% fresh air for safety reasons and will try to have you believe that all manufacturers do it too.
2) The transmission will "snap loose" when you slow down to about 5mph and then accelerate again. It's somewhat unnerving, but it's a side effect of the way they programmed the transmission. If you've ever experienced it, you'll know what I mean. This is on the 8-speed transmission.
3) The soft open tailgate will fail with colder weather and work again in warmer weather.
4) In my two years of ownership, the infotainment screen froze about four times. Although you can switch to radio, no other controls or buttons will work. Shutting off the truck will reset it, and the problem is completely random.
5) When reversing, the brake assist system will lose vacuum causing a hard brake pedal with little to no braking ability. There was no recall at the time of my trade, but a month afterwards, I received a letter informing me of the recall.
6) The headlight LED bulbs are non-replaceable (built-in). If they ever go out, you will need to replace the entire headlamp assembly at $750 a pop. Not as expensive as a BMW headlamp unit but still.

Other than those items listed, it's a pretty good truck.
That's incredible mpg for a truck. Big thanks for the input btw.
The recirc wouldn't really bother me however I will have to look into that transmission issue. Does it affect anything? Also do you know if it was on the 6speed as well or just the 8speed?
On my f350 I've had the nav/touchscreen pop the fuse multiple times (never blew it though) and cause the radio not to work. Other features such as heated cooled seats were unaffected though. So the issue with yours seems like the better option to deal with if it were to occur.
The headlight I was unaware of. That's definitely a pricey fix so I'll have to watch out for that and take that into consideration for my choice.
Thanks for providing some feedback. How was the ride comfort and handling?
07 E92 335i 6MT, MMP inlets, DCI, VRSF 7.5 competition intercooler, VRSF catless downpipes, VRSF chargepipe, 335is clutch, Vader Solutions stage 2 LPFP, MHD stage 2+, Hawk HPS 5.0 pads, R1 Concepts drilled slotted rotors, TSW Nurburgring 19x8 19x9.5
Appreciate 0