View Single Post
      05-27-2020, 11:27 PM   #6
RM7
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Camaro SS 1LE

Honestly it sounds like you are being taken for a ride with several dealerships, including the Chevy one. There is a point at which you stop engaging in phone and person to person communication and you send it through the mail, registered return receipt, so you have a record that they received said complaint and you ask for responses in writing. I think several times, you could have gotten legal involved, which may have ended up more expensive, but an average citizen can do 95% of what legal would do and usually get to a positive outcome. Since the warranty clearly says what is excluded and your hose is not in the list, I would have made them repair it and suck up the cost, but I wouldn't have asked for corporate to get involved or created a "ticket", I would have gathered the facts, summarized the case, provided evidence with attachments, served the dealership notice that you would like a written response on how they intend to correct the issue. If they just blow it off, they'll get creamed in small claims court. Any decent contract legal outfit will tell the dealer to settle. A less decent one will charge them a bunch of money and still lose. Of course, it hinges on being in the "right", but what you've had to go through with your Corvette is not acceptable and long before you reached this point, you should have been taking this other method. You treat it as an investigation after a certain point, you write statements summarizing your conversations with everyone, you go to written correspondence for most everything, and build a record. Take pictures to show the car is still at the dealer, not being fixed (corvette). Then, if you do have to end up going the legal route in the end, 95% of the legwork is already done. Unfortunate, but you have to protect yourself in this way when things go south.

I had to give the Chevy dealership (and the BMW one, and a glass installer) the "riot act", but they all shaped up pretty fast once documents started coming their way.

I really wish they taught sending letters like this in college...it's like some kind of secret that lawyers don't want people to know (because they'd have a lot less business?).

At the best, the warranty manual wants "it both ways" at the same time, which probably won't stand up in a court of law. You can't limit the warranty to just those "hard" items and then say that what is "not covered" is what's in the "not covered list", because that OBVIOUSLY leaves out a whole bunch of stuff. A hose isn't intended to blow out or be a wear item, or at least if they start playing games like that, you get them to put it in writing. Again, once you have them putting it in writing, you can take it to a lawyer. If they refuse to put it in writing, you document that they are refusing, hell, send them a notice that you acknowledge they are refusing (see certified return receipt above), and again, seek out a lawyer. You'll probably have a good case against a bullshit "warranty".
Attached Images

Last edited by RM7; 05-27-2020 at 11:35 PM..
Appreciate 0