View Single Post
      10-16-2016, 03:33 PM   #40
Fundguy1
Major General
Rep
Drives: 335 e93

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Tonka View Post
Sheetrock penetration is, for the most part, very similar between 00 Buck, 5.56 and 9mm JHP. We're talking about only 1 to 2 sheets of drywall between the least penetrating and the most penetrating.

What might be the most under scrutinized aspect of using an AR for in home defense is sound pressure. Prepare to most likely have some permanent hearing damage if firing a 55gr 5.56 in a small room. If i had to use an AR for in home defense, it would be my 9" barreled .300blk chambered with subsonic rounds with a suppressor.

00 Buck is going to create less sound pressure, but as with the AR, you have to be concerned about using a longer weapon in confined spaces. Something people should practice if they are going to use a long gun for CQB. Though the best advice for home defense is to take up a singular defensive position with a shotgun which gives you some type of cover or the ability to see and identify the intruder prior to them seeing you. Also, bear in mind that at the typical home defense shooting occurs at a range of 7 to 12 ft. At 12 ft, 00buck only has about a 2" spread out of a 16" barrel. (slightly larger spread with shorter barrel length of course, but we're talking another 1/2 to 3/4 of an inch) So don't think you don't have to worry about accuracy.

Given the ballistic similarities in terms of penetration, if i were to investigate something going bump in the night, i would choose my H&K 9mm pistol with 17rd capacity and a weapon mounted light. I can operate the pistol and weapon light effectively with one hand, either hand at that. I very much like the ability to keep effective control of my weapon with just one hand leaving one free to operate doors, lights, phone, etc... If i were certain someone was in my home, i'd have the wife armed with a shotgun and i would wield a 9mm bull-pup with a weapon light. We would take up a defensive position in our bedroom which creates a fatal funnel. That's what works for us and we've practiced it. If our house were different our plan would likely be different.

Everyone needs to realize that the most effective weapon in your home is your brain. Training in your home, finding the best defensive position, making a plan to get there and hold it will give you far better chances to survive a home innovation than just picking your favorite defensive tool.
My house and my neighbors is cinderblock. Not worried about buckshot but high powered rifles yes. And the shotgun is short 20" barreled with large rooms. Number 2 pick would be the 40.
Appreciate 0