View Single Post
      09-28-2021, 03:48 AM   #20
GuidoK
#buildnotbought
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0i ESS TS2+

From a drivers/ergonomic POV, regarding the transmission/shifting issue, one could look at F1 cars from the late 80's.
These cars were bespoke build for professional drivers so they could then choose what they wanted.
Most cars, including cars from UK based teams for UK F1 drivers were build in LHD configuration, so right hand shifting.
But I don't know if that is also the best configuration for a left handed person.

From a car POV, a lot of cars are definately designed for a specific, side.
You can see that very clearly for cars with an I6 enginge and RWD (so transversal layout):
Cars from UK based manufacturers tend to have have the air flow management just the other way round (so inlet/exhaust on the opposite side) than EU or US based manufacturers.
An I6 engine has a distinct hot and cold side. Of course you want the cold side on the side of the steering column, and on the side of the brake system (both are heat sensitive components).
So opening the bonnet of, say, a TVR with I6 engine, it all looks perfectly a mirror image of say a BMW
Most people don't know that
So a RHD TVR with speed six is technically a better car than a LHD TVR with speed six, and a LHD E46 M3 is technically a better car than a RHD E46 M3 (the 'slant six' config also restraints the exhaust system in the RHD config with the steering column limiting space for optimal headers)

And of course, from a drivers POV the place of the tacho and speedo is also important: when driving, your eyes most of the time are roughly directed to the middle of the bonnet tip. From a drivers POV the tacho is more important than the speedo (from a commuters POV maybe the other way round), so you want looking at the tacho to be the easiest/fastest move. That means the tacho should be positioned on the side of the center console and the speedo on the side of the door.
Cars that have it the other way round are not truely 'drivers cars' imho and are ment to be driven speedo oriented (and maybe full auto mode...)
Unless you can have a huge tacho in the middle of course, but this is an example with 2 equal dials and how to favor them.
Z4 3.0i | ESS TS2+ supercharger | Quaife ATB LSD | Brembo/BMW performance BBK front/rear | Schrick FI cams | Schmiedmann headers+cats | Powerflex/strongflex PU bushings | Vibra-technics engine mounts | H&R anti rollbars | KW V3 coilovers/KW camber plates | Sachs race engineering clutch | tons of custom sh#t

Last edited by GuidoK; 09-28-2021 at 03:57 AM..
Appreciate 2
M5Rick60090.50
MKSixer34184.50