Thread: 640 or 650
View Single Post
      04-21-2021, 12:32 AM   #12
Wanwansuii
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: '14 BMW 640i Gran Coupe Msport

I will warn you, buying the 6 series will be a compromise in several areas. Not necessarily in a bad way, but this platform is "different" compared to many other BMWs.

I came from a 2010 328i coupe M-Sport to a 2014 640i Gran Coupe M-Sport.

I will list the compromises below:

1.) Sunroof: this tilts open, but does not slide. It's due to the design of the car with its sloping roof (though I think this is a poor excuse given other brands with sloping roof designs have fully functional roofs)

2.) Getting in and out the car is a hassle due to the low step in height. It takes some time getting used to getting in and out of the car.

3.) Visibility: this is due to the unique design (especially in the Gran Coupe) and the low slung interior. However, you get used to it over time. Parking is not a problem if you have the surround view cameras/rear view camera. Without this option, parking would be HELL.

4.) Weight: driving this car compared to a 3 or 4 series is VERY different. This car is not light whatsoever, and you feel it driving around town. It does feel every bit of it 4,100+ Ibs. However, the car is quite quick (both 640i and 650i) for its weight and is a TANK on the highway. And surprisingly, the 640 gets decent fuel mileage (20 city/28-9 hwy/22-23 combined).

**side note: If you are looking at purchasing a 640i, I'd highly recommend putting a Stage 1 MHD tune, in combination with an XHP transmission tune. It REALLY wakes up the 640i and makes it so much more engaging to drive. I am surprised at how much different of a driving character these 2 tunes have made. My Stage 1 tune brought the car to 360hp & 395ft lbs of torque. The car feels like a small V8 rather than a 6. Plus the shifts are lightning quick. I can only imagine what a Stage 2 would do.

Good thing is, the 640 is known for its very good reliability (as most N55 powered BMWs are). I haven't had an mechanical issues in the 13,000 miles I have had on mine. I am prepared for the typical N55 issues (valve cover gasket/OFHG gasket, water pump) that may become issues in the next 50,000 miles.

If I were you, I would stick with the 640 since its less problematic, more efficient, and generally you can get some good power out of it with widely available tunes.

I would skip on the Active Cruise Control (in my opinion, it's not worth it and adds unnecessary weight to an already heavy car); skip the dynamic sway bars (adds vehicle weight and in my opinion numbs the driving experience, though it does provide good benefit on high speed curves); make sure the car has surround view cameras, and be careful of larger, low-profile tires. While the suspension is smooth, this car has a tendency to bottom out on potholes and bad pavement joints, and this is exasperated on large wheel/tire sizes.

Other than these issues, the car is general a good platform. Just takes a while getting used to its uniqueness.
Appreciate 1
F1346.50