View Single Post
      06-05-2018, 12:29 PM   #38
Flying Ace
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: G05 45e, 997.1 & 991.1 GT3s

so I just got caught up on this story. OP, since you've already dumped $5k in the tear down, at this point, it's no more than $2k to put in new bearings and call it a day.

BTW 7k for a bearing swap is considered very expensive. The LA shops have been doing this in the S65s in the $4k range, and that includes the replacement parts.

$7k generally amounts to nothing in the grand scheme of things. If you want to sue them, how much will your lawyer fees be? This might be something relegated to small claims court, and in that case, it comes down to what was written in BMW's warranty policy, so you lost already.

Lesson to be learned: With the S85 and S65 cars, generally, before you buy a used car you ask for an oil report to get a sense how much wear is in the bearings at that point in time. Buyers know this already on those cars.

Excessive bearing wear is not a known issue on the S63. So this has me concerned. I think on my next oil change I'll run a blackstone as well and start documenting my wear history.

Or as others have stated, there's more to this story than meets the eye. And I'm not blaming OP. He probably doesn't know any more than what he's telling us. After all, it was a preowned car.

Last edited by Flying Ace; 06-05-2018 at 01:50 PM..
Appreciate 0