07-20-2021, 02:33 PM   #100
NYG
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Audi R8

Quote:
Originally Posted by c1pher View Post
I looked at the R8 and it's a relative bargain compared to the Lambo version.

I agree Porsche loves ala carte a lot, but on the flip side you aren't paying for options you don't want either. If you want the lightest and least expensive version, you can have it.

The R8 is more of a grand tourer for someone who wants all the creature comforts. The 911 can be that car too or it can be more of a sports car. With that said, the 911 is also becoming more of a grand tourer, so I can understand why you'd expect more luxury features in a 911.

But if you compare performance figures between the R8 and 911, you probably only need a 911 4S to be comparable vs buying a Turbo or GT3. And the GT3 is really a completely different car that I wouldn't cross shop an R8 with to begin with. There's a reason why cars like the GT4 and GT3 etc do not provide certain options...because they are the true sports cars of the Porsche range.

The 718 is more of the non-GT sports car now for Porsche.
Yeah, I was pretty confident I'd hop into a Huracan but COVID drove the prices up to the point where the car is a joke if any prospective buyer saw how much they were 2 years ago.

I don't agree completely with grandtourer, especially with a RWD model available now. The R8 is a supercar, the 911 is not - even if half the 911 models would smoke it. It's definitely one of the most usable supercar so I see where you're going with GT. I say that as a Porsche fan boy and someone who would choose an upcoming 992 GT3RS over the R8. Comparing it to a 4S is odd - they're not even close unless you're only referencing Nurburgring laptimes but that's inherently the wrong way to do it. 911s are better than the Ferrari 812 (lol no - none of them are) if you look at it that way. Can't generalize cars that narrow otherwise, most performance cars have no reason to exist because of Porsche.

The GT2RS is faster than an SVJ..... I'd take an SVJ over 10 GT2RSs and again I'm a massive Porsche fanboy.

Plus N/A V10 > All 911 engines

Quote:
Originally Posted by c1pher View Post
Oh and I did mean least. I mean look at a Ferrari or Lamborghini. a fully loaded 911 Turbo S barely touches the base price of a Ferrari Roma before you even select paint color.
Gross....

488 Pista or nothing
Appreciate 0