02-23-2020, 06:47 AM   #4
Kxux
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M6 F13

Quote:
Originally Posted by mastatikle View Post
Way too many variables. Maintenance history, driver abuse, LUCK is a big one. Knowing what I know now I wouldn’t touch an M6 or any M car again unless it was under warranty the WHOLE time I owned it. As soon as my warranty expired, random EXPENSIVE electronic repairs started to arise.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cincinnatus View Post
Howdy, folks.

A friend is looking to trade into a 2016 M6 and has asked me if that model year engine is reliable as the 2013 M6 that I own.

I
@Cincinnatus thank for posting. I've been frequenting this forum more than the M3 section in the last few weeks and learned a lot from the experienced M6 owner.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MelbourneFinn View Post
My hypothesis is that there is nothing in our cars that fundamentally would make them unreliable, on the contrary, but there are a number of people who make them unreliable by abusing them. So, when buying one, the history of the car (and the owners) is more important than mileage...
Thanks @MelbourneFinn. History and previous ownership is one of the key things I looked at (as much as one can) along with the service history and the fact that my particular vehicle will be CPO which gives me a lot more confidence than buying without warranty.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mastatikle View Post
Way too many variables. Maintenance history, driver abuse, LUCK is a big one. Knowing what I know now I wouldn't touch an M6 or any M car again unless it was under warranty the WHOLE time I owned it. As soon as my warranty expired, random EXPENSIVE electronic repairs started to arise.
Thanks @mastatikle. Warranty is one of the big considerations. Will get 2 years of the CPO warranty and I'm even considering to add extended service contract to minimize maintenance costs as well. But the cost of this contract is quite a bit higher than what I paid on my M3. Wonder if it's worth it on vehicle with 25k miles.
Appreciate 0