EnVe46
Major
Rep
Drives: 11 E90 M3 LeMansBlue

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebmw View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnVe46 View Post
If you could read, I said at the minimum, would reduce power. And if you don't NEED 575hp, why buy it to begin with?! It's ludicrous.

Also, again if you read, I said high horsepower turbo engines. A 240hp four cylinder isn't high horsepower.

While octane doesn't dictate quality of gas, point is the engine isn't designed to run on 87. If you want to run 87 to save a measly $500/year, save THOUSANDS and buy something less prestigious, less flamboyant, less maintenance, less everything. Your logic is terrible.
Thanks for the insults. That's usually what people resort to when they can't make a scientific argument. Your frustration should be in your limited scientific understanding or education, not directed to a random person on the internet!

You specifically said that lower octane will destroy the engine. There's zero evidence of that. You are clearly not an engineer or scientist. There isn't some engineering team that magically designs a car that specifically runs on 93 octane gas. That's simply not how engineering and science works.

Octane is referring to combustibility. This is fairly basic HS chemistry. Higher combustibility will yield greater power and slightly greater miles per gallon. This is what I use in my Exotics. For my daily drivers, it's not needed as I rarely utilize even 50% of the power. This is why the vast majority of people fill with 87 octane and no engines are destroyed!

No more free education for you. Your behavior is unappealing to me.
Your condescending response triggered my "insults", so maybe you should take a less "I know everything approach" in your responses

And in regards to what you're saying, if octane didn't matter, manufacturers wouldn't say the recommended octane for the vehicle on the gas cap, owners manual and other literature for the car.

Nowhere in any of my responses did I say it would destroy the engine, actually said it WONT.

Furthermore, if you look at what I said in my original post, my whole point was why buy a high horsepower car when you don't "use it". Maybe YOU don't use it, but there are plenty who do. Posting that running 87 is perfectly fine is not providing good, quality information. It's a false narrative you provide because it's how YOU justify being cheap on saving pennies on gas. I promise you people will read what you say, go fill with 87 and complain about subpar performance. And yes, the computer will save any major damage to the engine but I'd be willing to bet running lower octane for extended periods of time while pushing it hard, may cause misfires, plug issues etc. You assumed I don't know the difference between octane levels, because I don't agree with running lower octane. You got triggered by my opinion on the matter and put words in my mouth.

If I offended you or anyone, that was not my intention. Providing the correct information on a forum of which lots of people rely on, including myself, is what's important. So, I apologize for throwing insults. One shouldn't make assumptions on another knowledge either. It's a good way to cause these types of posts. While I don't have engineering background, I've helped several on this very forum, fix and maintain their vehicles.