View Single Post
      08-27-2021, 10:36 PM   #1
NorCalAthlete
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: '23 M4CX - Tanzanite / Tartufo

The Garage Thread

I ran a search and while I found a few posts on swag, individual questions about lifts, etc, I only found one real "garage" thread.

So...take some pics and post em up! What does your garage look like? I've seen a few discussions around flooring, what'd you go with? Post the whole thing!

edit: I just bought my first place and have a 2 car garage that was built in the 70s and looks like it was never touched since. Bare studs, flat roof, etc. The concrete is in ok shape though. Will get some "before" pics up in a couple weeks once I start taking measurements and coming up with a solid plan for it.

Right now it has some wooden shelves and a wooden workbench the previous owner put in, which I plan on ripping out. I'm tentatively planning for the following:

1. (Re)seal the floor
2. Move workbench area from side to rear
3. Seal all vents and exterior walls / roof
4. Refinish the studs (can you even do this? Some kind of coating to protect the original studs from weather / termites? Is it worth it even if you can?)
5. Electrical - install more outlets, redo circuit breaker panel, new switches, add overhead lighting, maybe overhead audio (plan on making it a combined garage / workspace / tinkering / gym area)
6. Heavy electrical - debating on dedicated 240 (220?) for welder / air compressor / maybe a compact lift?
6. Finish interior + ceiling (no more bare studs + bugs / spiders)
7. Floor mats for gym area (probably will use horse stall mats as they're thicker + cheaper + more durable than many of the gym mats)
8. Folding wall rack w/ olympic bar + weights + folding bench. Should be enough for squats, deadlifts, bench press, overhead press, pullups, rows (belly down on the bench at an incline to brace). May add a pelaton
9. Sit/stand desk for work meetings, wall mounted + collapsible to save space.
10. Tool bench + tinkering area to build whatever. Models, drones, maybe start woodworking, reloading.
11. Some minimal cabinetry to hold a shop vac, car detailing supplies, etc.
12. Overhead storage for surfboard(s), snowboard(s), paddleboards, etc.
13. Retractable reels for air line, extension cord
14. Side lighting / portable lighting (+ storage for portable lighting if the cabinets don't cut it) for working underneath stuff / at night / all angles)
15. Retractable hose for washing / powerwashing.
IG: EmFore_650

Last edited by NorCalAthlete; 08-28-2021 at 12:37 PM..
Appreciate 1
DrFerry6728.50