View Single Post
      08-22-2021, 09:46 PM   #15
Mandrake
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW M6GC MT

It's entirely possible the dealer was unaware. You're talking about an unusual car from a brand they don't represent during a time of very tight inventory. Certainly possible. Probably does not matter that much, either, unless you see red flags. If you do, then run the other way and wait for a different car.

Just to be clear about this line of thinking, what you really want to know is the car's future and guessing about that based on dealer behavior is not reliable. Everyone does it, but it is not reliable. The logic is that if the dealer knows something about past use or issues then that would illuminate future outcomes. Thus, if you trust the dealer then you believe they would tell you whatever they expect about the future of the vehicle, which you would then factor into your decision. The most generous dealers will comp you some repairs, but no dealer will guarantee a vehicle indefinitely. At some point, you own your car and that's that.

You are correct to observe that there are not so many low/lower mileage coupes. Not many made in the first place. If you see a car you love, I'd try to make it work. You like the maintenance history, the miles, and everything on paper, right? If so, negotiate on price, buy an exclusionary warranty, and enjoy the car.

Check autotrader and other used car sites for pricing and alternatives, too. And do prepare for some expenses. My SA tossed out the figure of $1K-$2K per year in care and feeding. I have not spent that much; many have spent more. Figure that regular cars are nickels and dimes; the M6 is fifties and hundreds. Basic cars need four quarts of basic oil; the M6 needs nine quarts of special oil...nothing about these cars is cheap but if you drive it and love it like so many of us do then you're not going to care.
Appreciate 0