05-21-2020, 11:01 AM   #31
andrewmr
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 M4

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kolyan2k View Post
Hoping to move to a house soon. Will probably need to purchase lawnmower right away and all other stuff later as well. Any recommendations? I was looking at zero-turn mowers....lot is like 0.8 acres

Kolyan.... you have already received very sound advice in the replies above mine. But, allow me to add my recommendations.

You say eight tenths of an acre.... is that the lot size or is it the amount of grass you'll be cutting after you take out the house and driveway? Is the property flat/level? Trees?

A while back I replaced my Kubota yard tractor (48 inch cut) with a John Deere zero turn mower (60 inch). My property is 5 acres and I cut perhaps half of it. The other half is trees and I do cut some of it perhaps twice a year so I don't really count that. My property slopes from the front corner to the back corner.

When I first got the JD I fell in love with it. It's so much more comfortable to use than the Kubota. The more I used it, I came to realize a zero turn mower isn't the best for hilly terrain. I've learned a few tricks on how to cut on hills, but I didn't have that problem with the tractor. I currently use the zero turn mower with a 21 inch Honda mower to get into places the big mower can't get to.

The zero turn mower spins the blades much faster than the tractor, and as a result gives a much nicer cut. But I do think a zero turn mower might be overkill for less than an acre. There are deals to be had for used mowers/tractors on craigslist. If you have trees that shed leaves, or needles, look into something with a nice bagging option.

Trimmers and such. I bought into the whole cordless Ryobi system and have for the most part been happy with the system. The hedge trimmer could be a little more robust, but if I take my time I get it done. If I could start all over I'd look at the 40 volt stuff instead of the 18 volt stuff. If you wanted to go even better, then Stihl is the answer.

Snow blower. You don't say where you live or how much snow you expect annually. So it's kinda hard to give a recommendation without the possibility of going overkill. I currently use a Honda HS928 track drive blower. I think it's best snow blower on the market. I chuckle every time I use it and it throws snow half way across my property. Ariens makes pretty good stuff, but in my opinion, it is a small step back from the Honda line.

It's like everything else in life, you pretty much get what you pay for. You'll never so wrong with anything with a Stihl label on it. Buy a quality mower (whatever brand) and it will serve you well for years to come.

Whatever you end up with, if it uses gas, use only ethanol free gas.
Appreciate 1
wdb4718.00