View Single Post
      03-23-2020, 08:44 AM   #79
pdubq
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: ‘15 650ix GC, ‘14 X35i MSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opie55 View Post
Nowhere to go, so I am doing some car projects. Took off my front bumper, took everything off and had it painted. Almost every body shop these days has trouble laying down flat clear coats. So I sanded my brand new paint job with 1500 and 2000 grit and polished it. Used my Porter Cable DA buffer with a 3.5" orange foam pad with Meguire's M105 and then a white foam pad with M205. The first pic is the end result. Sanding and polishing was maybe a 5 hour job.

While it was being painted I polished my fog lights, which had become pitted from small gravel strikes. I wet sanded with 400, 600, 800, 1200, 1500, 2000, 2500 and 3000 grit then buffed the same way as the bumper. Then I put on clear bra so they do not get pitted again. Sounds like a lot of work, but it was only 2 hours total. The second pic is the end result.

Finally, I bought some GTechniq C4 trim restorer and, among other places, used it on the plastic grills around the fog lights and the lower center grill. This stuff is supposed to last for years - it's expensive. The third pic shows they look new and not that grayish color they turn.
And the prize for “Individual who did the MOST to their 6-series today” goes to.... Opie55!!! I, um, started the engine and let it idle for ten minutes in the garage, and cried a little tear she’s not been driven a while. Now I feel I’m neglecting her.

Well done Opie!
Appreciate 0