Thread: M6 DIYs
View Single Post
      01-11-2018, 02:09 PM   #11
Flying Ace
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: G05 45e, 997.1 & 991.1 GT3s

Front Painted Reflector Removal
The front reflector install is substantially more involved than the M5. If you have side cameras, it must be dismounted. I just performed this task yesterday. Here's the IND DIY, which at its base is what should be used in terms of how to remove the reflector and the method. But below are my additional tips and pics.

http://f10.m5post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=743210

Tips:
1. On the M6, you need to remove the top part of the fender liner. In total you need to remove at least 4 bolts. The two near where the camera is, and the two at the top of the wheel. Consider removing the 5th bolt at the bottom of the liner as well where the oil cooler is.

2. The reflector piece is integrated into the camera housing. The camera housing is held into the reflector by 2 screws. The screw is a Torx T8.

3. You must remove the camera before removing the reflector. You can either unscrew this housing and let the camera dangle, or unplug the camera and remove the housing when the reflector is removed. If you elect to unscrew the housing and let the camera dangle, you need a small precision tool set to unscrew the camera.

4. Use a heat gun or hair dryer to heat up the glue. I recommend focusing on the bottom part of the reflector first to get it going instead of the top near the camera. The heat gun can damage the camera, so keep it away from the lens and housing. Also apply heat to remove the glue residue as well.

5. Lastly, the screws are a PITA to also install back in. I recommend guiding the screws in the first time on the new IND reflectors which will free up and expand the plastic, this allow it to ease in when the part is on the car. Use the longest screwdrive handle you can fit in the cramped space to tighten the screw.