09-03-2020, 02:34 PM   #2530
JP10
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrussGott View Post
I ain't no expert but this is a good place to use Keto or near-keto ...

If you don't know, the theory is, you convert your body from a carbohydrate metabolism to a fat metabolism because carbs are not an essential macronutrient (i.e., you must eat protein and fat, but can live just fine without carbs ever again). There are various protocols to do this, but the easiest is to just eat mostly steak and eggs or equivalents. If you're not "fat adapted" it takes a few weeks for your body to abandon carbs as a fuel, but once it does you feel GREAT! And without counting calories (much) your body fat will simply go away.

Once your body is used to burning fat, any time it sees a calorie deficit it simply taps into your body fat stores with no decrease in your metabolism, performance or gains. It ends the "oh no I'm catabolic!" and no more blood sugar spikes and chugging shakes.

Keto ends the cycles of cutting and bulking and your body is way healthier without the hyperinsulinemia - BUT YMMV, each person is different, blah blah blah

Lots of info out there, but for a natural weight trainer looking for a simple lifestyle, it's hard to beat. This guy has great info if keto is interesting:

Calorie cutting on a carb-based metabolism resets your metabolic set point (1600 in your case) and it's very tough to get out of that cycle (sometimes called "biggest loser syndrome"). Keto gets rid of that.
Interesting, never knew that and I've done Keto before. For myself, I've gotten best results keep my carb intake relatively high. My body chomps right through them (I'm talking good carbs not stuffing my face with pancakes or something). Not saying I didn't see any results from Keto, but energy was down in the gym so it was tough to get as good as a workout that I would on carbs. My fiance did keto with me, and it worked great for her. Think she lost 8lbs really quickly doing it. Also became a big fan of zoodles & spaghetti squash through that process haha.

So going back to what I put in bold, does that mean if my caloric intake is 3000 calories, with an extensive amount of carbs, that my metabolic set point would be at 3000? Because that would make a lot of sense, after keeping calories consistent at 3000 for weeks then starting to drop (even slightly) I would usually see a solid bit of weight falling off.
Appreciate 0