View Single Post
      01-21-2022, 12:54 PM   #33
2000cs
Captain
Rep
Drives: Potato

Quote:
Originally Posted by e90335e36m3 View Post
I drove from Charlotte to San Diego and back to Charlotte 7 times last year (each time meaning in one direction).

Love every minute of the drive. 2 days one way. Midpoint in Houston. Day 1 is about 1100 miles, Day 2 is about 1500 miles.
What are you driving for these trips?

We took my wife’s XC60 (2018). It is top line with all the goodies, but we’ve found it is only good for one long day (8-10 hours). We’re fine after that day, but the next day if we do it again, we get fatigued and sore. My wife especially. Doesn’t matter who drives, etc, nor how many stops to stretch/walk around. Being older, our butts have migrated to our bellies, which no doubt affects seat comfort.

I bought a 2006 750Li which should arrive Monday. After some updating to the Nav and a few other tweaks, it will be the distance car. Worse fuel economy but a much better ride.

One of my quests is to find out which cars are really good for long, multi-day road trips. I used to love firm seats, but a distance ride is not a sports-car drive so unless the seats are perfect, I want something cushier (and my wife feels more strongly about it). I’ve driven two Porsches very long distances with no issues, but they don’t have the cargo/dog space for touring. My M3s were no better than the Volvo and noisier. My S60 Volvo (2021) was only good for about 6 hours so I sold it. Anyway, would love to hear what others have driven the distance!
Appreciate 0