11-23-2009, 07:20 PM   #110
jpsum
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 TSX

Quote:
Originally Posted by MontegoGoGoGo View Post
While I'm not a professional photographer (very, very noobish, actually) and this isn't my contest, I am an artist. I can't tell you what your vision of the contest is supposed to be, because it's yours. But, I don't really think that example shows seeing the beauty in the mundane.

That's simply just taking a photo of a sign and fence, and knowing how to use the camera. It's not really adding any artistic element to it at all. (This argument could be debated for all eternity - what is art, and what makes it art.)

I would think a winning photo would take the mundane and make it beautiful, not just "see" the beauty in it. You need to translate your vision to everyone else. So that even someone who knows nothing about art would think it's "beautiful." For example, here's a bottle of Kettle One I grabbed off the internet, it's a nice, clean, crisp professional shot, and there is an artistic element to it. Then next to it is a shot I took of the same (not exact) bottle, and it makes it look like something different.
I totally agree. Not only the "sign/fence" photo doesn't fit this contest (at least in my opinion), the photo is actually mediocre at best.
Appreciate 0