View Single Post
      10-05-2016, 06:46 AM   #1
YouAreMyWorld
///Project Aura
United_States
Rep
Drives: Mineral White ///M-Sport 335i

Looking to buy 2008 W221 S550 with 188,628 Miles - But There's A Catch!

Any Mercedes owners among us?

Hello everyone, as the title suggests, a dealership that I've been loyal to for the past number of years currently has an 08' S550 for sale--the only thing is obviously the rather high mileage. As a BMW guy, I'm no stranger to German Automobiles or their possible expenses.

With that said however, my knowledge on Mercedes in general is rudimentary compared to my knowledge on BMW's. With BMW's, we're used to the engine(s) itself being relatively bulletproof while the surrounding components tend to be less than stellar. Thus I'm doing my due diligence and learning as much as I can about the M273 engine; so here's where things get a little interesting.

The car will obviously get a PPI and I'm able to request most things to be changed at the dealerships' expense, here's my list so far:

Water-pump
Starter
Front Left & Right Strut
Coil-packs & Plugs

So that's the catch! What else can I add to the list of preventative maintenance to ensure this vehicle will last for at least the next 5 years/100,000 miles relatively trouble free?

Information about the S550:
New Transmission

Carfax: https://www.carfax.com/VehicleHistor...NG71X78A221516

VIN: WDDNG71X78A221516

Only two previous owners

In closing, what issues may be specific to this model/year that I should ensure are looked into? What else should I asked to be changed along with the aforementioned? Would YOU buy this vehicle if everything explained here would also apply to you? How confident are you in the M273 engine?

Asking price: $14,000

Thank you guys for your time!
Appreciate 0