View Single Post
      01-17-2020, 06:05 PM   #1
uddinsa
Rep
Drives: M6

M6 grand coupe competition 2016 engine seize

Hi all

I am in a very sticky situation.
I bought an M6 2016 around oct 2019 37k mils on it my pride and joy drives beautifully my previous cars were M5 the V10 and F10 now decided to get an M6 with Only one previous owner with full bmw service history still has a service pack, last serviced Aug 2019.
I drove for a month, around end of oct i had to have major knee surgery which took me 4 weeks to start walking again, mean time car wasn't driven as much occasionally driven by my wife for school runs but she too scared to drive it, at times i got the engine running as its not ideal to leave those cars on the drive not used especially in this cold.
After braces off my leg i started driving again felt awesome to get behind it again.

One day a family day out was driving was hearing a knocking rattling sound during transmission change the more aggressive i drive the more louder it gets. Im like mmmh that don't sound right. I got to my destination was only 20 min drive, i was about to drive away loud rattling noise then small squeak sound then BOOM! The engine shuts down. That was it would not start, everything powers up when press start button just click button engine wont start.

Did the usual AA recovery they did all their bits battery etc.. they found was showing low voltage, charged it but still no luck. So recovery to sytner bmw chigwell

This is where the fun starts:

So bmw did all checks cant find anything cant get the car starting. I had a very state of the art alarm system anti hijack etc.. they blamed that first but the company came down and confirmed it wasn't that to make thing easy they took the system off.

Then came the JVB even put a new battery still nothing.

Finally the killer blow, they called me up saying my engine has seized needs a new engine, yup my jaw just dropped.

My immediate response was how is that possible?
A high end performance car just over 3 years old with only 37000m engine seize up, they don't know what the cause is. Car has always had full bmw services on time no issues.

Well you guys can see a fat bill is about to come my way.
Now lets come to warranty. After i bought the car i got a warranty out but an external one warrantywise which gave me a great deal the highest cover on the car.

Total cost for new engine will go more than 20k with labour. My warranty happy to cover 10K for it.

Bmw got back to me i was not happy with it, a 3y old car with low milage that was maintained by them should not have an issue like that. Car was has always been well maintained not abused.

They are my local dealer always go to them with my previous M5's even my wife's 1 series bmw, i am very loyal to them.

So bmw call me back again person name Tony dealing with my case very helpful tried pulling a few strings and gonna push for a goodwill gesture for the car to be repaired with new engine so they gonna strip the engine.
Now there are two scenarios bmw uk may pay for the whole thing i don't have to pay for anything or they may cover for the parts but i pay the labour which can cost upto 5k but as loyal customer tony can bring this down to 2k.

Now my question is 2k is still a big sum contribution from considering a complete mechanical failure from their side.
I don't mean to be an ass some will say pay that 2k and run.

Whats your opinion? Has anyone come across similar scenarios??
I should be hearing back from them on Monday.
Appreciate 0