01-14-2020, 08:02 PM   #5
ezmaass
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 650xi GC / '15 Audi R8 V10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derekz4 View Post
Are you ever really turning off the radio or just the sound?
Is this similar to "if a tree falls in the forest but nobody was there to hear it..."

I suppose, theoretically, "off" is equivalent to "no sound" for most people. Technically, is it "off"? I don't know. That was the case back in the day, and it's difficult to say as far AM/FM/XM goes since it's simply receiving a streaming signal, but I believe "off" really is "off" as far as all other media types go, since the media will cease to continue playing and will pick up where it left off when shut "off" (e.g. CD player, streaming music).

With the B&O system, when you press the knob to turn it off, it does lower the center speaker, which is different than just lowering the volume, which would leave the speaker up. I usually have the radio on, so I'd have to experiment a bit with this, but it could be interesting to see if other "system sounds" would cause the speaker to be up (e.g. navigation audio instructions) even with the radio/media "off."
Appreciate 0