View Single Post
      12-31-2018, 09:09 AM   #11
BB6
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M3 G80

A lot of what your asking depends on how mechanically inclined you are. Taking your care to BMW service centers is a joke. I have had to personally re-fix almost everything I took my car in for due to their lack of effort, knowledge or just plain laziness. I have tried 3 service centers and finally decided I had enough and bought the software and all the appropriate maintenance scope materials. OR, find a great indi shop you can trust. Lots of guys from Cali on the forum who know great shops in that area. I have had the BM3 stage 2 OTS tune, fabworx downpipes and carbon filter delete for about 2 years and haven't had a whole bunch of issues. But, keep in mind BM3 is constantly evolving for most platforms which can be a good and bad thing. When I first installed my tune they were still in early beta stages so there were definitely issue with it (as I am sure with most tunes that are OTS and not adjusted custom per car), but they have gotten better and a little more refined due to customers and the OG developers datalogging more. It does have some cool features as well, but the features like code reading do have hiccups often. Just like modifying any care, stay on top of changing your fluids frequently! Shorter intervals. Don't go out for a day and just constantly beat on these cars, they are prone to heat soak and these motors do not react well to heat soak. Remember its a big car as well and while you have had great experience with your brakes thus far, you will get to higher speeds A LOT faster with a tune and object approach you extremely fast. Trust me, the brakes will fade and/or not be there like you expect them too. Get good sticky tires once you have the tune (R888R - Yes they are loud and annoying, but they make the car usable). DO NOT just stop on the gas off the line, you will break something almost guaranteed, maybe not today, maybe not tomorrow, but you will and most likely it will be an axle. If you want to race hard starts and you have grippy tires on, just feather they roll out off the start and then let the big dog eat. There are really too many word of advise for these cars and it really all depends on how you plan on beating on it. Sorry for the lengthy response, just thought I would share some knowledge I wish someone would have summed up for me. Let me know if you have any other questions. One more thing, make sure you change your plugs and coils when you get the tune and properly gap them. Ask Protuning Freaks what they recommend for their stg1 as far as gap goes.
Appreciate 1