12-18-2018, 09:57 AM   #17
Qsilver7
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F06 650ix GC / F15 X5 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by tpsc3crt View Post
First off, thanks for the write up. Though I do have a question. How do you know which wide-angle mirrors have the dimming function? or do all of the heated ones with the part number you listed automatically have the dimming feature?

Thanks!
If you use the 11 digit BMW part nbr...then there's no way of making a mistake (unless the vendor selling the mirror screws up). There are TWO different diagrams for the side mirrors (in the part database)...you have the regular mirrors...and the ones that have the EC (dimming) feature are under option code S430A

If you pull up the mirrors in one of the part databases (at least the ones I use)...each mirror part nbr specifically lists the options the mirror performs.

These are my favorite 3 part databases...if look up your BMW using your VIN, or even if you search generically...you will see how the database lists what each mirror is capable of:
  1. www.realoem.com
  2. www.bmwfans.info
  3. www.etk.cc

Also, the EC mirrors have a different electrical wiring harness than the regular heated mirrors. The regular heated mirrors usually only have two pin connectors that two single-wires attach to on the back of the mirror glass which powers the heating element. In the pics at the top of the thread, you can see that the EC (autodimming mirrors) have a larger wiring harness that has 4 wires. Hope this answers your question.

Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.

Last edited by Qsilver7; 12-18-2018 at 10:59 AM..
Appreciate 0