View Single Post
      07-17-2020, 07:36 AM   #2366
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2013 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by JP10 View Post
So I had an interesting thought while I was trying to fall asleep last night. All of you are most likely aware of the saying that "time is money". I'd say I spend somewhere around the range of 400-500hrs a year working out (calculated it out for the first time this morning, damn that seems like a lot lol). Avg salary in the US was $48,672.00 in 2019. So that is roughly $23/hr. So based on my time in the gym, somewhere around $9200-$11500/yr. Now this is a BMW forum, so it is relatively safe to say that the hourly rate could be near doubled.

So then I thought to myself, would any average person spend that amount of money in order to be in great shape per year. Now don't get me wrong I know people can spend the cash to enhance (or maybe decrease in others eye's) their physical appearance through means of implants, lipo, and more. But say in the future they discovered a way to genetically enhance physical appearance through other means. (I know, I'm getting a little sci-fi now haha) Would people go out of their way to pay that amount to avoid the never ending progress in the gym.

Next thought was do I value, $18k-22k/yr, my physique to that extent. Hence do I see worth in being in the shape that I am. Obviously I do see the benefit and worth in going to the gym for not only physical improvements, but mental I.e. stress relief, perseverance, and more. But hell that is a shit load of money!! lol.

Anyways, interested in hearing what y'all have to say in regards to this outrageous thought!

Back on topic, this morning was leg day. Was a little rushed in there, but got some solid cardio in. I was 179lbs Monday evening, probably plus or minus 2-3lbs right now. Slowly creeping up on the wedding, so really going to dial it in here soon!
You missed the other huge benefit of working out. General health. If you want to apply the same financial analysis, just think of how much money that would be spent on medical treatments for ailments resulting from being out of shape. I would venture it would be a lot more money than what you're calculating. And ultimately, the ultimate price which you can't put a dollar figure on is your life.

Look at how many out of shape people there are. I've been going to the beach a lot over the past couple of months. That's a place where you can't hide anything. It's amazing how many out of shape and overweight people there are.
Appreciate 1
JP102463.00