04-03-2021, 11:24 AM   #96
F32Fleet
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 435i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winter.M3 View Post
Kinda controversial but I couldn't find anyone else's input. I see 3 series with the M sport package with M badges, M stickered calipers, M color stripes, etc. In my opinion, it's excessive.

Now, would you consider this upbadging? I would say yes, but I'm not sure. What's your opinion?

However; I still think it's cool to an extent to do it to some BMWs, especially if you have some performance mods. So don't get me wrong there.
In the US market BMW has always had some package which included the "//M" logo but it was never used to denote a model that wasn't a true M-car. For example the E46ZHP was sold as having the performance package and M-logos appeared on the wheels and shifter. The bumper was called "M-Tech" in ROW. The vehicle was still only badged as a 330i.

The change in model naming is more the result of competitors like Audi (i.e. S, RS, etc) as well as more 3-series models. BMW recognized that there was demand for more M-variants. IMO the test market was the E46 M3 CSL (Euro only) & M3 Competition. The segment expanded upward with the addition of the GTS for the E90. So like Audi BMW also expanded the naming down market.

435i, MPPK, MPE, M-Sport Line
Appreciate 2
Vivek.1367.50
Moflow2484.50