Thread: Ketogenic Diet
View Single Post
      09-09-2016, 04:32 PM   #10
reedo302
Estorilblau Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: Dinan Estoril 328i M Sport

I tried it for a period of time, started getting into ketosis, and then realized that I hated it. I loved the part about eating craploads of bacon and lots of fatty foods, but ultimately my energy levels never returned to where they were when I was doing a healthier IIFYM diet.

The thing to understand for all is that diets are not universal. Body chemistry and lifestyle dictate whether a diet will work. One method of inducing ketosis may not work for another person, or may just not work as effectively.

When I WAS trying the ketogenic diet, I had to go through the fridge and pantry and separate all the food I couldn't eat. I put it in a separate area, knowing that I wasn't going to stay ketogenic forever. Then I had to go to the grocery store, and then to organic stores to find various sauces and flavorings that I needed (salad dressing, etc). That was annoying.

I used a test kit and figured out when I was in ketosis and maintained that for a few weeks. Ultimately I did lose a few pounds and lean out a tad bit, but I realized that my energy levels were lower and my mood was more azzholish than usual. My post-workout recovery was much slower, and my energy return post-workout was also slowed. This is partly due to my energy output and needs for weight lifting/powerlifting. I'm significantly bigger than the average person, so my body chemistry and lifestyle made it disadvantageous for me to continue with the keto diet. I pretty much realized that I needed carbs. I had similar weight loss effects by just upping my cardio and reducing my calories by a few hundred daily.

With a healthier IIFYM diet, I can modulate my calories and regulate my weight and body fat levels. I found that with keto, it was harder to modulate based on what my body needed due to the restrictions on what I could and couldn't eat. Just my own experience though.
Appreciate 0