02-25-2021, 09:49 AM   #7
TinCanSailor
Fueled by Recycled Dinosaurs!
Rep
Drives: F06 M6

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by rotomoto712 View Post
Yes the shielding is welded to the pipe. Unfortunately, I installed them right before putting the car into winter storage, so I did not have time to scientifically measure the temperature difference, or get before and after logs. However, I did physically notice a drastic reduction in under hood temperatures after a spirited drive, as well as the cooling fans turning off significantly sooner than before (after ~2 minutes as opposed to ~5 minutes prior to install) however, there could also have been many other variables that could have led to the reduction in fan running time (i.e. lower ambient temperature, length of drive, etc.).
Not sure if you can easily check, but I am curious if the shielding material is magnetic? I am hoping to better understand how it will insulate i.e. what is its potential conduction, convection, radiation properties might be. The other thing I am curious about is galvanic corrosion.

Corrosion is the main reason I have ruled out "fabric" wraps, but dissimilar metals can lead to similar problems. Ceramic coatings are the only alternative but the air gap thermal protection seems like it would perform better.

Looking forward to anyone's feed back on how to best go about mitigating the heat soak on the back two cylinders.
2015 F06 M6 Silverstone Metallic II, Individual Full Leather, B&O, Night Vis, CCB, RKAutowerks (CP Rods/Pistons, DI Cams, CF Intakes, Coated DP's & Billet Diff Brace), InfinityAuto Turbo Inlets, Mishi Oil Cooler, JB4, XHP S3, BM S3
Appreciate 0