07-22-2021, 11:09 PM   #1
JFWM3
JFWE92M3
United_States
Rep
Drives: F06 M6 Gran Coupe 6MT

Engine Seized or Blown at the Dealer - Bizarre Events

Well,

A few years ago I had an M3 that blew an engine. It was a significant cost to me as I had a donor motor installed. The loss of the motor was a big let down, I loved the car. A year later I sold the car.

https://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1310329

So after being a little gun shy of M's for a while, I finally broke down and started hunting for a M5 or M6 GC with a 6MT. I missed the M feeling, and liked the novelty of a 6MT twin turbo V8. It took me two years but I finally found and purchased a beautiful low mile M6 GC 6MT Individual in Moonstone Metallic. I had the car ceramic coated, put on PPF, installed 433 wheels and an Akra exhaust.

Fast forward about two months and I took the car in to the dealer for an early oil change this week in preparation of a longer trip later in the week. It was a beautiful 30 mile drive to the dealer, and I was thinking how much I love the car. I also have a 991.2 911 Targa, and was thinking I really don't need that car any more. The M6 does it all for me.

Coming into the shop, everyone had to comment on how nice the car was and the rarity of it. The car was like Rolling Stones walking into a small venue, and surprising everyone buy playing a few songs.

They drive the car away, and it goes into the shop. Who new what was about to happen next would be a bizarre sequence of events.

I was busy with work, but then after two hours, I wondered what was going on. I peak in the shop, and the guys are all standing around car with the hood up. I thought they were still admiring it. I walked away smiling.

Thirty minutes later, and the Service Advisor comes out with a distraught look. Sir you need to come with me she says in a very serious and slightly panicked voice. I proceed to the car, I knew something was wrong.

I peer in, the M is on the hoist and there are a bunch of mechanics standing around it. Heads down, arms crossed, ....like they were standing over a casket at a grave site. The Shop Foreman then proceeds with, well, we changed the oil, drove it around the block, and it just quit, at idle! We think the engine seized.

After I made several calls into the dealer the next day with no response, today they confirmed that engine has to be replaced - through a text message. The bizarre story just continues. I guess the fax machine wasn't working.

I am not very happy with this being second M Motor I have lost, but thankfully this one is under warranty. And if it was going to happen, I am glad it was at the Dealer and in their hands. It will probably cost $40-50k, again thankfully under warranty. But with COVID, who knows how long this will take.

BMW will have some making up to do on this one quite honestly. The whole series of events with was a goat rodeo.

As I learn more I will post the root cause and ultimate failure.
Attached Images