08-04-2021, 02:52 PM   #58
LJohnson32
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW M6 Gran Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by RagtagXMASTER View Post
My coolant temps in sport plus trend near between 180-190F once fully warmed up and my oil stays between 200-220F. this is also with an ambient temperature between 70-90F in the Northeast summer, but overall has been consistent. I can check live data from my awron vent gauge so its interesting to see the temps before, during and after some spirited driving.

I notice my 5w-50 will stay hotter, longer, as the oil i think retains the heat more, or maybe its best to say its good at taking the heat out of the metal, but not at relinquishing it.
Got it -- interesting to observe the temperature difference between the two oils at operating temp in Sport Plus at around 70-90F ambient, as mine is consistently between 190-200 under the same conditions. I would tend to think that the oil temp and engine temp would be at equilibrium rather than the oil being measurably hotter than the internals given how rapidly it interfaces with all of the internals at operating temp viscosity, but I'm no chemist or thermodynamics expert

Quote:
Its very good to keep the car in sport plus to help pull the heat out of the coolant, i have seen my coolant stay above 230F while in comfort, driving casually. keeping the car in sport plus i feel is better for the longevity of the engine.
Absolutely, I couldn't agree more here. Religiously have done this since buying the car last May -- something easy that every S63 owner can do to extend the life of their engine

Quote:
As for your case you may be correct in thinking that if it shears closer to a 30 weight you may be fine, but regardless of tune, the engines run pretty hot especially when driving around casually. if you ever want to try the 50 weight you could i dont think it will harm anything, but i think the extra peace of mind from the shear strength and the higher moly count is great for long lasting protection.
For sure -- it's been interesting to see how much higher the moly levels are in the Redline 5W-50 compared to the LM 5W-40 'Molygen' which is literally named to tout the usage of molybdenum in the additive package lol.

Quote:
I will continue to gather samples of my car on the redline and most likely do another sample in 3000 miles, i wanted to see how the oil performed at the 4500 mile range and it seems to be fine, but i would rather change at 3000, when i changed the oil it was considerably darker in my opinion then when i changed it at 4500 miles when i changed it at 3000.
Sounds good and I'll be looking forward to following those reports -- I think from an apples to apples comparison perspective, your latest sample at 4,500 miles was a good one as that's about my typical interval.

Thanks for the great insight on this, will continue to kick the idea around in my head for the next 4,500 miles about switching over