01-11-2020, 10:18 PM   #37
MelbourneFinn
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2021 G30 M550i

Garage List
2021 BMW M550i  [9.00]
This is actually funny... We are all trying to come up with more or less practical or rational reasons why we would “upgrade” (which I don’t think in this case is really the correct word...), but I would argue our cars (and most other cars in the same category/class) are not upgraded because they need upgrading, but rather because we just want something new...

In my case, if a typical life expectancy for a 53-year-old male with reasonably normal living habits is say another 30 years (help!), and I’m driving 6k kms per year, and the way I’m looking after my car, I will likely be in the grave before the car (wouldn’t even make it to 200k km - some maintenance would naturally be needed) - assuming we can still buy high octane fuel in 2050... And I actually believe that a 2017 M6 will be reasonably competitive at that stage, still, at least what it comes to meaningful performance and driving capabilities... So, I don’t think I would ever HAVE TO change the car, but will I want to? ABSOLUTELY - until this age the longest I have ever kept a car (that I have owned) has been appr. 2.5 years...
Appreciate 2