View Single Post
      01-06-2020, 03:28 PM   #1
dennisd
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 535i

2016 M6 DCT, placing trans in N without power

Another thread concerning the trunk toolkit got me thinking about my car. My kit only has the tow eye and screwdriver (tire sealant and compressor are there too). In the other thread it was suggested to carry a 10mm hexkey wrench to be able to shift the trans into neutral if there is no power (dead battery or other reason) for loading on a towtruck. Well, I pulled the console cupholder and there is no opening to insert a wrench, just solid carpet. Anyone know how I'm supposed to put my DCT trans in neural if my car is disabled and cannot turn on ignition? Hopefully it never happens but I don't want to be trying to figure it out on the side of a busy freeway or something. I cannot find any reference to it in the OM and even when I called BMW America, the "genius" I was talking to said he didn't know. I would hate to see my car drug onto a flatbed with the back wheels dragging. And this brings up another point, I suspect that if the park brake is set, it would be necessary to crawl under the car and manually back off the cable or is there another method?