View Single Post
      12-06-2020, 02:41 PM   #10
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2013 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXSTYLE View Post
I am one of those who invested heavily in my Home Theater.
Although I hear you about the quality of streaming vs Blu Ray, 4k, etc.
I have ZERO desire to return to the Theaters until a "prolonged absence of COVID-19 has been demonstrated. I will accept 1080p and regular Dolby Digital.
But that is why I appreciate NETFLIX! Everything is in Dolby Atmos at least.
I'm not crazy about going to the theater either. Many times I find the sound to be just loud, distorted, and annoying. I've said numerous times that I'm astonished why people think loud is good.

But on the flip side, people are herding into a model with streaming that is setting a dangerous precedence towards content control and lack of quality. In the past, there were multiple venues to gain access to physical media. That's all but dried up now. The only option for physical rental is Redbox. If you want to purchase said movie, your options are starting to dry up there too. With physical box stores, there are really only three options: Best Buy, Walmart, and Target. Walmart has announced that they won't carry specific 4k titles unless they meet a specific minimum price point. And even with those options, the amount of physical media they have on the shelf dwindles yearly. Which then leads to Amazon being the only option.

And it doesn't end there. The number of spinning disc players have also dwindled. When you look at a very well respected company such as Oppo Digital going out of business, that should throw up warning flags to everyone that cares about maintaining quality in the media they purchase and control over said media.

All of these moves are steps towards the computer software licensing model. Before you know it, you'll have to pay each time for any time you play a movie on a different TV.
Appreciate 0