GrussGott
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M4 Comp Indv

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkoesel View Post
Sure we will. I’m talking about the numbers BMW publishes, ... If it’s good enough for the regulators whose job it is to keep the 900 pound gorillas honest, that’ll do for me too.
To your point - which was more/less a restatement of mine - all MFRs *legally* obfuscate sales numbers for trade secrets reasons be it BMW, Benz, or Bugatti. Tesla started combining Model S & X numbers because they don't want people to see sales tanking for either model. BMW ain't no different.

As for regulators, uh what?

First, regulators aren't analysts or journalists - more what we discuss here, right? (this isn't a government accounting regulations forum, right??)

Second, and more importantly, the regulators (SEC) fined BMW $18 million in Sept for inflating *5 years* of sales numbers so BMW's published sales numbers are actually NOT good enough for regulators.

Besides that, sounds like we more/less agree: manufacturers usually hide their sales numbers legally - BMW goes farther by inflating numbers illegally - but they all do it to protect their business ....

... that doesn't change the point though: BMW won't be sharing BMW G8x sales numbers, and one of the reasons is because they'll likely suck; just like Tesla's Model S sales numbers.

Last edited by GrussGott; 01-20-2021 at 03:55 PM..
Appreciate 0