View Single Post
      12-30-2020, 02:50 PM   #15
m6NYC
Private
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M6 Gran Coupé

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spacecpe View Post
A sure way of ruling out injectors is pulling plugs in the morning to see if they are wet and smell of gas.
Leaky injectors, will give you a rough cold start (like yours) and in about 40sec the car will run fine, will pull hard and nothing will seem off. The issue is while trying to figure it out, you could be diluting your oil with that fuel and ruining your bearings.
Thanks for this. Leaking injectors seem to be the issue here. Going to do one last smoke test to check for any vacuum leaks before I pull the plugs. I vaguely remember 1 spark plug being very wet relative to the others when changing them. I didn't understand the significance of that at the time.

Seems like this issue was going on for a good amount of time unfortunately. The surging idle was hidden by the high revving cold start and the white smoke/unburnt gas smell was removed by the catalytic converters. Only when I removed the Cats and cold start did I start to notice this issue.

I wouldn't be surprised if this is the cause of the infamous rod bearing issue with the E60/63 M5 M6 since it throws no warning issue and can continue for a relatively long amount of time until it progresses to the point of throwing an error code.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. M6 View Post
what Spacecpe said above + you will hear little ticking sound coming from the exhaust sometimes at idle
Couldn't really hear any ticking from the exhaust at idle, I did hear a very very slight surge in rpms as that continues to happen even when warm. The surge is barely noticeable and less than 50 rpms.

Last edited by m6NYC; 12-30-2020 at 03:04 PM..
Appreciate 0