View Single Post
      04-25-2023, 03:18 AM   #298
biostar
Rep
Drives: F06 640i

Just to share with all members on a few pointers that I've noted down during my map update process.

1. Check which iDrive system version you are using e.g. CIC, NBT, EVO, ID4, etc
2. Check the map type for your iDrive version e.g. Next, Premium, Evo, Motion, etc. Download the correct map according to your region and iDrive e.g. if you reside in Japan and your car's iDrive is NBT, then download Japan NEXT 2022 (latest 2023 maps can be purchased from Shawn)
3. Use a usb flash/thumb drive of 16 to 64GB capacity and format it to FAT32 file system only.
a) MicroSD with usb card reader can be used too but make sure its Class 10 and above for faster transfer. As usual, format your microSD card to FAT32.
4. Extract all map files (e.g. 1, 2, config, nbt pkg, etc) from zip to ROOT of usb drive (e.g. E:\). Don't extract parent folder (e.g. NAV... or Roadmap...) of zip into usb drive, similarly don't create a parent folder to hold the map files.
5. Plug in your usb drive to the USB port in your car's centre compartment or glovebox.
6. Turn on your car to ACC mode (no need to ignite engine)
7. iDrive will automatically detect the new maps and prompt you. Start the update by keying in the FSC code (you may get from Shawn in the F30 Nav forum "FSC Code Generator" thread, please ask nicely!)
8. Wait 15 to 20 minutes for the update to complete (note: if you open your door, iDrive and ACC will turn off. But not to worry the system will resume the map update from where you left off once you turn on ACC again.
9. For reference, my car took 16 minutes to update a 9GB map. Enjoy your new map!
Appreciate 0