07-18-2021, 03:16 PM   #27
Qsilver7
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F06 650ix GC / F15 X5 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpine650 View Post
I got the "Low Engine Coolant" warning message. I attempted to open the cap by the firewall on the drivers side - could not get it to budge. So I tried the coolant cap in engine middle. That one came right off so I added coolant - actually a little too much. It filled rather quickly leading me to believe I needed to fill by the firewall cap since they must be different. Started car up before trying cap by firewall again and to my surprise the Warning message was gone. So I have to assume the two are connected and when you get the warning for "engine" coolant low you can fill in either place?
EDIT: I jumped the gun…I see that you did go back…following Walt’s suggestion.

Your assumption is incorrect. Did you read post #21? It explains the coolant system in detail…there are 3 different cooling system circuits…they are not connected. There’s a reason why there are TWO different reservoirs & multiple pumps (two are electrical & one is mechanical (engine). The engine’s cooling system is the only one with a level sensor that communicates with the car’s check control system…and gives a warning…so if you got a warning…that is the one that was low.

The charge air cooling system reservoir (the one you filled) is the one up front and all you need to do is look at the MIN/MAX fill indicator inside the reservoir to tell if it is low or at maximum fill.

Again, the 1st page in this thread explains how to measure down from the engine cooling system’s fill cap to determine if you are low.

Please go back and study the diagrams in post #21 that covers the multiple (3 different) cooling system circuits of the N63TU engines. Read the very last sentence in the info below for the charge air coolant circuit:

Attached Images

Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.

Last edited by Qsilver7; 07-18-2021 at 03:33 PM..
Appreciate 0