View Single Post
      05-18-2020, 10:04 AM   #22
The HACK
Midlife Crises Racing Silent but Deadly Class
Rep
Drives: 2006 MZ4C, 2021 Tesla Model 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rmtt View Post
I haven't had a chance to work on a C7, but I've done all the work on my C6's and C5's including using HP Tuners.

Those were pretty easy to work on. But I'm talking about Heads, Cam, Intake, torque tube, clutch, and rear diffs.
The C7 appears to be pretty easy to work on too. I’ve seen the underside a few times and do my own oil changes, and there’s nothing complicated about the way the car’s laid out. From a mechanical standpoint, it’s not like working on Porsche’s and BMWs that’s for sure. All the coolant hoses, emissions hoses, oil lines etc are on simple hose lamps or quick connect fittings, and all the electronic plugs and harnesses are standard fare industry plugs with locking tabs.

Apparently it’s a “2 day” job to swap out the bottom end of the engine. It’s only taken so damn long because GM had to authorize the repairs. When I finally got a hold of the service writer, he sounded surprised that GM is asking for a repair instead of a replacement engine.

Either way, it’s been nearly 80 days since it’s entered the shop. Again, penny wise, pound foolish. If they simply authorized an engine replacement, we’re done in 2 weeks, I get my car back, and sure they would pay a little more in parts but less in labor, but at least they avoid the possibility of lemon law.

Plus I’d be far more inclined to hold a neutral or positive view towards GM products. At this point, after my experience with returning the lease on the Bolt and the ordeal with the Corvette, I’d be more inclined to buy a FCA product before I’ll consider GM, and my opinion of FCA products is pretty f**king low.

Having worked with GM as a supplier in the past, though, I shouldn’t be surprised at this. Let’s just say they have some brilliant engineering and product design minds that are severely hamstrung by a penny pinching corporate philosophy and an inept marketing team. Saving pennies on a part that would potentially cost MILLIONS in warranty claims is standard practice.
Sitting on a beat-up office chair in front of a 5 year old computer in a basement floor, sipping on stale coffee watching a bunch of meaningless numbers scrolling aimlessly on a dimly lit 19” monitor.
Appreciate 1
Rmtt8211.00