View Single Post
      01-10-2021, 10:32 AM   #21
LJohnson32
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW M6 Gran Coupe

First off, sorry to hear about the unfortunate news -

Following the storyline here, didn't you recently just get a custom tune on this car from a local shop? If it were me I would be going back to them with a bone to pick rather than BMW. Seems to me that perhaps your tuner could have overdone it or had some critical oversights with regard to the longevity of the engine with whatever parameters were adjusted within the DME.

My gut tells me that you'll submit this for warranty and one of the first rebuttal questions from the warranty company will be whether or not the vehicle (powertrain) had been modified. It would be reasonable to expect them to do a fair amount of investigation prior to writing a $32,500 check.

In the event that there is no foul play from the tuning company, Marcus Frost is right when he says

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus Frost View Post

People don't seem to "get" that you are infinitely more likely to see/notice a thread about what is in reality a rare occurrence of a blown motor rather than objectively quantify that the VAST majority of these cars do not blow their motors with or without tunes.

While I sympathize with the original poster, let me tell you buying a used car and then having it blow up so soon would NEVER have me suspect the engine, rather what the PREVIOUS owner did/was hiding/etc. It is so easy to mask miles, abuse, etc on a used car. I would highly suspect something the previous owner did may have caused damage or at least somehow put the pieces in motion leading up to what you are now dealing with, rather than curse BMW for some faulty engine assembly.
Ultimately I'm sorry to hear about this failure and your frustration is understandable, but I think there are other places to point the finger than directly at BMW given the circumstances

Last edited by LJohnson32; 01-10-2021 at 10:41 AM..
Appreciate 3
mikerx5461.00
MMMM6GC275.00
DRKNTM615.50