02-15-2019, 11:24 PM   #3043
PINeely
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 535i, 2015 Tundra 1794

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy Old Man View Post
What I will say is that police involved shootings since the introduction of Black Talon where rounds were in centre mass were in almost all occasions fatal but also incapacitated the suspect on all occasions very quickly. Over 20,000 LEO in Ontario carry .40 cal Black Talon as their required ammo.
Hence the amount of data on it vs lesser-carried "boutique" loads

Quote:
The other thing I will add was that the trauma surgeons and forensic pathologists don't like them because they tend to be quite sharpe and risk cuts to fingers.
A myth. There are no documented cases of this happening and those same surgeons said there is no difference in wounding vs a conventional hollow point round.

Quote:
Any round can incapacitate if it lands in the zone, some are more effective than others. Something like 70% of rounds fired in a gunfight are misses so it doesn't matter what your shooting if you're not hitting your target. There is ton's of info and tests out there about what's most effective, and a lot of information is conjecture and speculation....heavy rounds vs lighter faster rounds. I think the .40 is a solid round for self defence, it's fairly easy to shoot accurately and has significant stopping power. But like I said, there are lots of rounds out there that will get the job done as long as you hit centre mass.
Agreed, shot placement is king.
Appreciate 0